What we do
The Victorian Small Business Commission (VSBC) provides preliminary assistance to small business with disputes under the Small Business Commission Act 2017 (the Act). These disputes can be business-to-business, business-to-government, retail leasing and franchising disputes.
Some of the common disputes the VSBC can help with include:
- licensing and agency agreements
- franchise agreements
- supply contracts
- buying and selling a business
How we can help
The VSBC helps provide information to small business about their rights and responsibilities to help avoid disputes. It can also assist small business in dispute by providing dispute resolution services. These services include:
- Preliminary assistance: VSBC staff will provide information to small business on their rights and obligations to prevent or help resolve issues. This is done by email, over the phone, on the website pages or our brochures.
- Pre-mediation assistance: our staff will contact both parties, by phone, or email to help resolve the dispute.
- Low-cost mediation: we get you and the other party together with an experienced, independent mediator to confidentially discuss issues and try to reach an agreement.
Mediation with the VSBC is $195 per party, per half day session for these types of disputes. There is no cost for preliminary assistance that occurs over the phone or on email
The Small Business Commission Act 2017 covers all disputes in small business.