Premises not covered by the Act
Under the Retail Leases Act 2003 (the Act) the Minister has determined that the Act does not apply to the following premises:
- Storeys: Premises in a building that are wholly or predominantly used for the provision of retail services (other than those located entirely on any one of the first three storeys of the building) are excluded from the operation of the Act – Determination 1
- Barristers’ Chambers: Barristers’ Chambers Limited is excluded from the operation of the Act – Determination 2
- 15-year leases: Leases for 15-years or longer are exempt where they impose substantial works or financial obligations on the tenant – Determination 3
- Melbourne Market Authority: ‘Market land’ as defined by the Melbourne Market Authority Act 1977 – Determination 4
- Local council premises used for community or charitable purposes: Local council premises that are leased for certain community and charitable purposes – Determination 5 N.B: this determination was revoked by the determination covering premises used for community or charitable purposes.
- Bodies corporate (and their subsidiaries): Bodies corporate or companies or corporations whose securities are listed on a stock exchange outside Australia (or the subsidiaries of these bodies corporate, companies or corporations) are exempt from the operations of the Act – Determination 6
- Premises used for community or charitable purposes: Premises that are leased for certain community or charitable purposes. This determination applies to leases entered into after 1 January 2015 – Determination 7
- Premises used for farming or agricultural purposes: Premises that are leased for certain farming operations. This determination has effect from 29 October 2019 – Determination 8
For help in getting started, you can speak with a member of our team by calling 13 8722 or emailing us.