On this page
Steps to prepare before the day
Before you attend your mediation session, there are a few things you need to do to prepare.
Ask yourself if you have:
- read the Victorian Small Business Commission (VSBC)’s Guide to mediation
- read the mediation agreement document
- considered if you are able to attend mediation (N.B. if you are unable to attend, you must provide authority for a representative to make decisions on your behalf. This must be given to the VSBC before mediation. You must also notify the VSBC of all people who will be attending the mediation session and their role. Learn more by reading our web page on authority to participate in mediation.)
- prepared a short statement to tell your side of the story
- collected all relevant documents to bring to the mediation session
- considered or obtained legal or other professional advice
- considered or obtained legal or other professional representation at the mediation session
- considered inviting a support person to attend on the day
- made travel plans to get to the mediation venue and back, including any parking requirements.
Preparing for your mediation session
Ask yourself if you have considered:
- possible ways of resolving the dispute
- what outcome you would like to achieve at mediation
- what the other party would like to achieve at mediation
- how the other party will react to your proposals
- possible compromises you can afford to accept
- the consequences of not reaching agreement at mediation.
You can also download the mediation checklist to take with you on the day.