Entering into a retail lease

To help avoid disputes, you need to be aware of your rights and responsibilities as a tenant or landlord before entering into a retail lease agreement.

The VSBC has information for tenants and landlords to help you make good decisions from the start.

A landlord or person representing a landlord must give a potential tenant an information brochure – Retail leases: important facts for tenants and a copy of the proposed lease at the start of negotiations.

If you find yourself in a dispute, the Victorian Small Business Commission (VSBC) can help by providing low-cost dispute resolution services. In most situations you will need to come to the VSBC to try dispute resolution before making a claim at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). For more information, see Do I have a dispute?



Related information