Commercial rent relief in Victoria: what landlords need to know
A new fact sheet is now available for Victorian landlords whose small business tenants are having trouble paying rent because of coronavirus and ongoing restrictions to trade:
Our new plain English resource includes:
- information on the Commercial Tenancy Relief Scheme’s protections and supports – including rent relief and a freeze on rent increases and evictions
- helpful FAQs on landlord rights and obligations
- guidance in how to go about negotiating a fair rent relief agreement
- information on how landlords can access the Victorian Small Business Commission’s (VSBC) free mediation service if their tenant has stopped paying rent and won’t negotiate
- a scenario showing how the VSBC can help when communication breaks down.
This new fact sheet also links to more information, including:
- an easy-to-use letter template for making a rent relief offer
- a step-by-step process for tenants and landlords
- translated guidance in Arabic, Simplified Chinese and Vietnamese
- the application forms for applying for free and impartial mediation.